Fivearts.org

Author Topic: Prayer and how does it differ from Divination?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Tientai ✝️

• ✝️ IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangpai-Foundation-Course student
    • View Profile
Prayer and how does it differ from Divination?
« on: October 16, 2020, 12:07:32 PM »
Opinions from a friendly forum ...
https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/index.php?threads/what-is-prayer-and-how-does-it-differ-from-divination.26249/
I keep reading books etc that tell me about the power of prayer and talk about praying but I never really can understand what is meant by praying. Is it talking to 'God' (whatever that means), is it asking the universe for stuff, is it just sitting in silence, or what? I wondered whether my interactions with Yi could count as praying since divination is, literally, or etymologically at least, communicating with the divine. Not when you simply ask future questions, but if you really sit with the energy that us almost palpable through yi.

Anyway, I asked 'is prayer being in contact with the divine or is it asking for something?' 49.1 > 31 (bound with the hide of a yellow ox...?)
Then I asked: 'What is the purpose of prayer?' 12.5 > 35 (cease the hindrance)
'How does one pray?' 11uc (peace, heaven and earth unite)
'How does one find peace?' 25uc. (truthfulness, innocence)
'Is communicating with Yi a form of prayer?' 9.1.4 > 44 (return to the way, fear gives way - 44 is an encounter - with what?)

What I understand from this is that communication with yi is a means of dealing with anxiety while prayer is a way of actively transmuting a problem into its solution. Prayer is achieved through oneness with heaven (or the divine), which isn't the same as asking for things (or even speaking at all).

I'm not sure I'm totally clear on what prayer is but I've got a little food for thought, at least.

Offline Candih

Re: Prayer and how does it differ from Divination?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 11:46:23 PM »
I suppose how you would define prayer depends on your personal belief system, in my opinion it is very different from divination. I would define prayer as talking to God to ask for help, give thanks or worship. I would consider divination as looking for answers to specific questions, seeking guidance about the future