Fivearts.org

Author Topic: Gmuli Web Apps  (Read 15595 times)

Offline Gmuli

Gmuli Web Apps
« on: April 05, 2019, 03:22:56 PM »
In my view one of the big problems for the English speaking world to get more familiar with the Five Arts systems is the language.
Many of the good sources are either in Chinese or they switch to Chinese characters often in them.
Interesting example is Sweeney books for QMDJ, starting with his first book where the idea is to memorize 150+ characters that are used later in the series of books, something that I doubt we will find more then 10 western people that will attempt to do even less so will manage to actually do it.

So stuff like basic English words for the lines, branches and relations, or at least Pin Yin is vital in the understanding of these systems in my view.

One of the reasons I haven't posted links here to some of the apps is because I'm working on something else that is suppose to replace them.
During the past few years many members have asked for web version of the Gmuli apps.
While that was challenging to do back then, in the last few months I have been working on that and so far the WWG app is almost ready for use.

The question is - what do members want as a function in a Liu Yao internet app.

So far I have implemented this:

(can show stems and switch to the animals)
Some of the fields won't be very accurate, still aligning it.

I'm thinking of adding some stuff that we didn't have before, for example to switch to Friendly, Vulnerable etc. from the animals.
The Solar calendar will be using apparent position of the Sun instead of the Mean position in the other Gmuli apps, the idea is that in this way the traditional approach will still be there, however as it is based on the open source implementation of the SPA libraries they are supposed to be the most accurate for that giving accurecy of  +-0,003 degrees for more then 5 thousand years span. That won't be working right away, however, as it will require altitude and other stuff and I'm guessing most users probably won't be aware of that, so in the future that may be added as well, even then we will work with something like +-1min as the hour input field doesn't accept seconds.

This time it will use the apparent position as that is what is accepted(also for people that want the mean values can always use the PC one, to be fair that matters only once a month on the Solar Month change).
Again the bazi app will be with the idea to take some more alternative calculations like Stable/Unstable Pillars and stuff like that that may be missing in other calculators, but more on that when I get to the BaZi part of the apps when I plan to ask for that as well.

I haven't added Super I Ching or the other stuff, as I don't know if ipeople need it.
So now is the time for feedback, what you would want in web version of the Gmuli WWG app?

The idea is for assignments that are shown like alternative stems/branches, or other ways of generating hexagram that the old app had and stuff like that. For the colors and the way it looks that is very subjective, so I'm just adding it in the more functional way I can come up with, with time if there is enough interest can add themes for alternative looks or something like that.

Offline JLim

• Administrator
  • MANGPAI BAZI TEACHER-CONSULTANT (Blindman School)
    • View Profile
    • JLim School of Bazi
Re: Gmuli Web Apps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:46:50 PM »
Thank you for sharing your work!

Suggestions:
1. Ti & Yong -->preferably Self & Others.  I have limited time to explain now, but for Liu Yao (Wen Wang Gua), the philosophy is different than Ti & Yong (such as used in Mei Hua or Plum Blossom). 

2. Hidden line: could you put it at the leftmost column?  We need to read the hidden line together with the line of the original hexagram.  So, if there is space, I'd prefer both lines to be aligned.

3. Can you highlight the Voidness (if any) in the hexagrams?
In this example, Xu is Void so maybe use a special notation for the 6th line of the result hexagram? Something like (戌 Xu) -- using parentheses.  If you use parentheses, I would also remove the parentheses from the Six Kins, so "Child" instead of "(Child)". 

4. I would really like the option to hide irrelevant branches in the Result hexagram.  For example, I would rather not see the 4th line of the result hexagram 午Wu Fire.  The 4th line You Metal is not being overcome by 午 Wu Fire!  If the option is not chosen, then the user can see ALL branches as shown in your screenshot.

5. Move the four pillars closer to the hexagrams.  When you do that, for example, Shen (Month) would be close enough to Si Fire (6th line), which is nice because Shen-Si makes a combination.  In the current layout, Shen seems so far from Si.

Offline Gmuli

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 05:27:53 PM »
Awesome, will add it.

Offline Tientai ✝️

• ✝️ IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangpai-Foundation-Course student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:08:07 PM »

Dear @Gmuli  .. hi ..

I like your works on app. You are genius on this ...
I would like to follow the above formula when casting an Hexagram...
I think nothing is so difficult to make this .. or just like this ..!!
Thanks in advance

Tientai

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:25:23 PM by Tientai »

Offline firelink

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »
 if you could have option with the complete symbolic star attached to it , where Astrofuge had put the table on  https://fivearts.info/fivearts/index.php?topic=15297.0  . Symbolic star is very useful when you really want to make deep understanding of liu yao  , but I haven't found a lot of software that show them beside some chinese one , the one that use show some of them like the most common yi ma (horse ) , peach blossom .. and also the day solver. This star is particularly useful when want to find a solution to a problem (because transform bad luck into good luck ) . Other star have each their strenght too depends on the situation . Also the Na Yin melodic element are useful also for giving general intellectual environnment and give hint too .  That s the reason why there is in chinese the heaven stem with the earth branch, because each branch are different even if same animal  , but different heaven stem and that can give a very deep understanding of the subject on the divination.

I saw a lot of situation where there where solution if people would like to change their point of view and then we can make use of symbolic star and get better understanding with na yin in order to turn bad into good luck . It s pity that people don't use it :'(

about the other line that is not relevant , I personnaly prefer to keep it because I can remember it in the whole Hexagram , but if it s only an option that you can click to hidde it s ok for me

If you could put the six animal in left , and then the hidder , it would be easier as it s the format used in  chinese traditionnal way of plotting hex. if its  ok for you

Thank you very much :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:13:26 PM by Tientai »

Offline Tientai ✝️

• ✝️ IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangpai-Foundation-Course student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 11:18:05 PM »
Dear @firelink .. hi
When I started to learn Liu Yao  (or Wen Wang gua) .. it was challenging for me to combine many theories coming from Chinese metaphysics.
I was adding so many things expecting that will make the difference...!!
But I was so faraway  from correct judgements  .. and feel so bad for it...!!
Much time I was spend when one day I desided to delete what is overload on this divination art ( Liu Yao ).
The results are much better ... and feel very glad for it.
We may know many subjects on CM.. but we must not combine all together...!!
For Liu Yao is not a matter of addition rather is a matter of delition. .!!.. until remains what is fittful. .!!
I should like to combine many subjects .. but now I don't like it..
That's my humble opinion ..
Tientai 

Offline Gmuli

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 11:45:44 PM »
Tientai: Sure, will add one more html for that design.

firelink: Animals then hidden lines, sure, will rearrange it in both np.
I added ways to show or hide the lines in the other hexagram, so it can be switched on and off.

About the symbolic stars... We do have them in the PC app, currently(all from the topic there):

Right click on a line > Symbolic Star for the Line - and it will show all of them that are valid for that specific line.
Symbolic Stars in the menu will show all of them.

Link to app is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1n4g1ili2qcazk/Gmuli%20WWG%20Calculator.exe?dl=0

Manual is here:
https://www.scribd.com/document/380367830/Gmuli-Wen-Wang-Gua-Calculator-Manual

Adding them to the site, they aren't very fully translated in there. As far as I remember from what we talked in the forums they have specific topics where they are working/covering(obvious for some, like legal problems suggest its assuming legal related question) and that part is missing, so I think I would prefer to wait for alternative translation or if they are included in a book someday.

Offline firelink

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 12:28:16 AM »
thankx for the information Gmuli , Could you add the heaven stem associated with the branch in the hex ? about the program , thank for the link, but  I don't use MS Windows thats  why I would be happy to have this function in a web application format , otherwise do you have a Linux version or having a way to compile it on a GNU/Linux machine ? I hope my need  can  be included in some way if it s possible :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:43:25 AM by firelink »

Offline Gmuli

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18:48 PM »
Could you add the heaven stem associated with the branch in the hex ?
We will have that, sure.

otherwise do you have a Linux version or having a way to compile it on a GNU/Linux machine ?

We can run them in multiple ways.

Еasiest way is to use the new mono VB support layer. I will cover it for Ubuntu, as that is the most user friendly Linux I think, if you are using something heavier will probably know how to install and run package as well.

Step by step:

Go in the directory where you saved the .exe
Open Terminal There(Right Click on empty space, Open Terminal Here for XFCE).
This 3 commands are all you need:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc
mono "Gmuli WWG Calculator.exe"

Random generation of Hexagram won't work there(it will provide the same values every time) as the support for the random classes in mono and wine has never been good. The rest all works I think, so you can add any hexagram you made and it will show you the symbolic stars, stems with the lines(traditional), stems with the lines(alternative) and many others things.
Also can create hexagram in the other ways(from events, time, name etc.)

Sceenshot of the app running on virtual machine with mono and Xubuntu:

There are a few other ways to run the apps, with wine+winetricks+.net2.0 or with wine+mono.
Mono alone would hopefully work, but I can cover wine as well if you need.

Overall they are using the oldest Net version possible. That allows running them on XP, also running them on any Win emulation or compatibility layers like Wine or Mono, should be fine.

Offline firelink

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
@Gmuli , it works well with the new mono version that you showed.  I m wondering how can I  choose line by line which yao it is (old yang/ young yang - old yin . young yin) like changing line or not and his yin/yang polarity for generating hexegram this way ?

Offline Gmuli

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »
Currently we can select Hexagrams in a few ways.

We can click the Trigrams on the left(upper left for higher trigram, lower left for lower trigram).
For example if we want to input 64, we click 9.Li in the Upper Trigrams on the left.
Then we click 6.Kan in the Lower Left Trigrams, and it will show Hexagram 64.
Then we click the changing lines that we want one by one. It will create the name of the hexagram and the result one right away.

Alternatively we can press F4 and type 64. That will also show the Hexagram. If we want to input it faster, we can press F4 > 64.5 and that will add Hexagram 64 with changing line 5. We can also write the name of the Hexagram, but that is very limited in how it works yet, so I would suggest the other ways of input.

When we click the lines it shows info about them(Strength, Relations, Activity etc.).

If you check the manual there are more details for other ways to input them/generate Hexagram.

Offline firelink

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
I have check about input method ,  it does work about the red arrow , I was just wondering about na yin , there is a mention of na yin but i cannot find it on the earthly branch of the hexagram ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:03:14 PM by firelink »

Offline Gmuli

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
I have check about input method ,  it does work about the red arrow , I was just wondering about na yin , there is a mention of na yin but i cannot find it on the earthly branch of the hexagram ?

Currently we have a very unusual implementation of Na Yin on the branches. It will work only for blindsect branches and stems.
How to see that:

View > Branches > Blindsect(or Alt+2)
View> Additional Info on Lines > Stems(based on blindsect) or (Ctrl+4)

When we have both of them enabled, if you mouse over the relation it will show the Na Yin element and the words that come with it.

Keep in mind there seem to be a lot of blindsects/schools out there and it seems very few of them use this assignment of stems/branches. I personally enjoy the traditional method as it has a lot of meaning behind it(their method may have as well, I haven't looked into it much).

Na Yin from the Stem of Trigram + Traditional Branch we don't have currently.

Offline firelink

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 02:23:32 PM »
about the symbolic star , some of them doesn't seem to fit the traditionnal understanding   for exemple : 3.Heaven Adversity
Transforms misfortune To good fortune.  - Is there a way to modify it ?

Offline Gmuli

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
about the symbolic star , some of them doesn't seem to fit the traditionnal understanding   for exemple : 3.Heaven Adversity
Transforms misfortune To good fortune.  - Is there a way to modify it ?

Once its exe no, but I can change the description and upload new version with the changes if you want.