Fivearts.org

Author Topic: Tolerate noisy neighbour party or not?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline throosden

Tolerate noisy neighbour party or not?
« on: July 17, 2022, 04:13:49 PM »
I live in a small village. Yesterday, one of my neighbors (1 house in between us) had a noisy schlager party from 2pm to 10pm. They had a setup with 2 pretty strong sound boxes and there was a singer that did a few small performances throughout the event.

In general, I don't have much problem with music being a little bit louder on occasion but low frequency noise from subwoofer can carry very far and even with closed window this can really invade someones private sphere I think.

At around 3pm I go there to ask if they could reduce the volume on subwoofer a little bit. Was very clear from their response that they were not very happy with this request. They reduced the volume a little bit for a while but after perhaps 30mins the singer did his first little performance and from there on volume was pretty loud until 10pm. At times, it was no longer possible to be at ease in my own room with windows closed. This was also not the first time they did this kind of party, first time was not as noisy I seem to remember. Other interesting information is that some of our neighbors were also present at the party. Found this out afterwards.

Noise disturbance is off course a little bit a I tricky topic. What is disturbing for one neighbor is just pleasant background music for the other. Off course we have to be tolerant but still I feel that in society nowadays the boundaries of what one 'should' tolerate from others keeps getting pushed further and further.

It is also a little bit a personal thing for me in that even when other people have some bothering behavior, my first response is to not respond to it and suck up the irritation and anger. I tend to 'erase' myself from time to time. On the other hand, in this case, I would also like to know if I am the one who is being oversensitive.

So I decided to consult the I ching on this to see if it can give me some guidance on how to respond to this. Although our neighborhood is pretty quiet, slowly over the years, there have been more occasions where some neighbour throws a party (very rarely though) or plays some music with strong subwoofer during the day. In the back of my mind, I also hoped that I ching could perhaps give me some indication on whether it was perhaps time to take a stronger stance with regards to this.

So my question was:

Should I tolerate this (and subsequent) party or not. One casting for tolerate and one for not. self=me, object=the neighbors organizing this party.

tolerate
https://www.bright-hall.net/wwg/64,1,0,0,0,0,0,9,1,2022-07-16,14:26/

not tolerate
https://www.bright-hall.net/wwg/2,0,0,1,0,0,0,2,2,2022-07-16,14:26/

I did the casting yesterday, already looked at it a little bit and my first idea is that I should not simply accept these kind of events. The deities on the not tolerate casting however perhaps contradict this so I wanna go more in detail into this.

So will also do and post my own analysis on this, but thoughts from other people are definitely appreciated.

Thanks

Offline throosden

Re: Tolerate noisy neighbour party or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 07:20:40 PM »
Some basic liu yao analysis:

For the tolerate casting:

* self and others are both fire
  * self is in the weaker water hexagram though
  * behind wu self is hai though which clash with others si indicating some idea of the conflict
  * this hai will remain hidden though, an indication of deciding not to act

* moving line produces si others
  * perhaps an indication that not acting will empower these (and perhaps other) neighbours to throw more parties, ...

For not tolerate casting:

* Clashing hexagram indicates a conflict
* Self child controls others officer
   * moreover metal (self) quite strong due to wei month while wood (other) is weakened a little by the fire
* others line transforms to create returning restriction
  * perhaps an indication that there will be support from other neighbours for me in the conflict

I think for both hexagrams the main idea is pretty clear. Esp for the second casting I think there is more details to be seen. (empty hai, shen potentially combines with si, ...).
First casting seems to indicate that not acting might give some more troubles in future.
Second casting seems to indicate that deciding to act might be successfull and there might be support from other neighbours.

The deities are interesting as self and others are flipped in both castings for self and other between azure dragon and flying serpent.

Will think a little bit more about this. Any thoughts are appreciated off course. Can anyone see from casting if I'm being oversensitive with the whole situation, or if it seems reasonable to intervene?

Thanks

Offline throosden

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 09:49:25 PM »
Haven't spoken to my neighbour, and good that I haven't.
I might still speak to him about this if I see him, not to have a conflict but more in the spirit of hexagram 2, kun, and changing line no3.

Offline ren

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 08:46:32 AM »
[Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:54:26 AM by ren »
"You and I Are Disappearing" Yusef Komunyakaa

Offline throosden

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 11:20:49 PM »
Hi Ren

I guess, my situation is probably not as bad as yours, living in this small village. No rattling windows here, although we came pretty close last sunday. And youth camps happening all over the area each summer ... sometimes feels like they are slowly turning into summer festivals. Although I don't think it will get that bad.

I like your ideas on the 64.1 -> 38. And well, I did go over there, asked if they could turn it down a bit, and returned back home with my tail wet :).

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Sacrar

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 09:26:27 PM »
[Hidden post: You need login to forum to see it.]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 09:30:32 PM by Sacrar »

Offline throosden

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 10:28:27 PM »
Thanks Sacrar, a nice analysis with some interesting details.

Still haven't spoken to my neighbor, and I feel like the situation, is more or less over and might just wait till this happens again before I go over there.

But I think I should have  :-\ ...