Fivearts.org

Author Topic: Offspring as intelligence and skills (?)  (Read 255 times)

Offline Sacrar

Offspring as intelligence and skills (?)
« on: May 21, 2021, 07:16:46 PM »
The relative/kin Offspring is sometimes associated with Production (Output) and sometimes with Intelligence/Skills.

Can anyone give ideas of the underlying logic where Offspring represents intelligence, skills, and at the same time is ruining/destroying the Officer (power, status, control). How is this paradox solved?

Generally if we ask for a job, we have the Officer as Yong shen, and this shows our ability to successfully do the job. On the other hand, if we see a Offspring moving around destroying the Officer, we usually read it as "inability/incompetence" for that job.

So how can Offspring be intelligence and skills?

Offline The-Monk

Re: Offspring as intelligence and skills (?)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 03:53:14 PM »
The relative/kin Offspring is sometimes associated with Production (Output) and sometimes with Intelligence/Skills.

Can anyone give ideas of the underlying logic where Offspring represents intelligence, skills, and at the same time is ruining/destroying the Officer (power, status, control). How is this paradox solved?

Generally if we ask for a job, we have the Officer as Yong shen, and this shows our ability to successfully do the job. On the other hand, if we see a Offspring moving around destroying the Officer, we usually read it as "inability/incompetence" for that job.

If I am not mistaken, your actual question and issue, is that you believe that work/job needs intelligence/skills and the ability to produce something out from it, and because of this, you are having trouble understanding why in WWG, the Offspring line (that represents production, intelligence/skills) would be detrimental to work/a job. Correct?

Offline Sacrar

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 09:44:32 PM »

If I am not mistaken, your actual question and issue, is that you believe that work/job needs intelligence/skills and the ability to produce something out from it, and because of this, you are having trouble understanding why in WWG, the Offspring line (that represents production, intelligence/skills) would be detrimental to work/a job. Correct?

Yes, that is one of the problems, but not the main point. Since we can see the Officer as skills/control Offspring can simply be all that spoils skills/control. Then the problem comes what do we do when we see Offspring as skills/intelligence, in which cases does it apply, and if we ask about labour issues we shouldn't associate intelligence and skills with Offspring... I don't know if I make myself clear.

It seems that depending on the topic or issue we are asking about we have to set the framework before casting what Offspring will stand for:
- Or Production/outputs
- Or incompetence/immaturity/irresponsibility
- Or Intelligence/skills
- Or Happiness/satisfaction/fulfilment

But we cannot choose both at the same time, otherwise we run into logical problems.

It may also be that Offspring has a controlling (ke) relationship with the Officer (for example a a line of resting Offspring controlling a line of Officers in associate or prosperous status), in case it is not a destructive relationship. So in that case it is not out of logic.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 09:48:43 PM by Sacrar »

Offline Sacrar

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 10:08:34 PM »
An illustrative case. I asked how successful I would be in the medium term within an alliance in a wargame, bearing in mind that my success depends on the success of the alliance (team play), and therefore it is an interdependent success.

https://www.bright-hall.net/wwg/3/7,1,1,0,0,0,1,2,1,2021-05-21,20:53

It was a quick query so I didn't establish a solid frame of reference, so maybe it can be read as a "general framework", as Gmuli says. But I did think that if I saw a Offspring moving it would be bad for the success of the Alliance (childishness, lack of seriousness, lack of involvement, lack of responsibility and lack of commitment).

The case in this hexagram is that we see Offspring moving, but it is in the resting stage (xiu). Since it is a game and implies fun it becomes confusing to read, since Offspring can represent either that, fun, as well as strategy, planning, team coordination (intelligence/skills).

Offline Sacrar

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 10:19:57 PM »
@The-Monk Please could you give some views on the question raised, is the approach the right one? Thanks you.